Frequently Asked Questions
About the race
- When is it and what time does it start?
- Sunday 28th October 2018. It starts at 11am.
- What is the distance and terrain of this race?
- It’s a 10k off road race along the River Avon Towpath and through Leigh Woods. So very little
tarmac, it’s nearly all off road.
- How many runners take part in the race?
- 200 runners take part in the race.
- Is there a minimum age to enter?
- Runners must be at least 18 years old to enter the race.
- Is there a maximum age for taking part?
- Does the race sell out?
- Yes, the race sold out in 11 hours last year. There will be no entries on the day, so get in
- Who is this race suitable for?
- This race is suitable for anyone who runs a 10km in under around 1h15 mins. There is a big hill
after about 1km of the race, but don’t let that put you off, you are allowed to walk this. Once you
are at the top, it is downhill all the way!
- Is there a time limit on the race?
- We would expect the final runners to come in after around 1h15 minutes and runners who finish before
encouraged to cheer everyone in.
- Will I get a race pack in the post?
- No, nothing will be sent to you through the post. You will receive your number at the registration
desk on race day.
- What’s special about this race?
- Apart from the free cake. this is a Halloween themed race with the option for all runners to wear
- Is fancy dress obligatory?
- No, but it’s encouraged and is part of the fun of this race. There were only a couple of runners
last year who were not dressed up so you will probably feel like the odd one out if you don't dress
up. All volunteers and marshals will be dressed up and there will be plenty of Halloween themed
decorations you will spot during the day..
- Do I need trail shoes for this race?
- If you have them, wear them … but they aren’t essential or mandatory. The course is hilly and
woods and, depending on the weather leading up to race day, can get muddy. But many runners complete
the event in their normal running shoes.
- Is the race route suitable for wheelchairs?
- Unfortunately the terrain is not suitable for wheelchair competitors
- Are runners allowed to run with their dogs?
- Sorry, for the safety of all competitors we do not allow runners to take their dogs on the race
About Race HQ
- Where is the race HQ?
- Ashton Park School, Blackmoors Lane, Bower Ashton, Bristol BS3 2JL.
- here do I park?
- You can park at Race HQ, but parking is limited so please car-share wherever possible. Parking on
the streets around the school is NOT allowed due to a 24/7 permit scheme.
- Where can I leave my bike?
- There are bike racks at HQ you can use.
- How do I get to the race HQ?
- If you are on the A370, turn off on to the A369 as if you were going to Ashton Court. Take the first
turning into Blackmoors Lane. There will be signposts to the school. You will arrive in the school
car park. The HQ entrance is along the side of the school (not the main entrance). There will be
plenty of people to point you in the right direction on the day.
Various buses go to Ashton Park school from Bristol city centre;
M2 Metrobus, 71, X1 and X3 from the Centre and the 505 from Clifton. Please check local timetables
nearer the date.
Visit Travel West for local travel information.
- Are there changing facilities?
- Yes, there are male and female changing facilities at the race HQ.
- Are there any showers?
- There are no showers available at race HQ.
- Are there any toilets?
- Toilets are in the race HQ only. There are none at the start/finish area.
- Is there bag storage at HQ?
- Yes, you will be able to leave you bag in the Race HQ, but valuables are, as usual, left at your own
- What time is registration?
- Registration is open from 9.15 - 10.15 at race HQ.
- Will I be able to enter the race on the day?
- We expect the race to be full, so no entries on the day.
- What time does the race start?
- 11am (but runners should be aware that there is a 15 minute walk to the start)
- What time do runners head from HQ to head to the start?
- 10.30am. It’s a 15 minute walk to the start, and then there is the opportunity to take part in a
Halloween themed warm up)
- Where is the best spot for spectators to watch the race?
- We would advise to watch the runners from the start/finish line just by the Cumberland Basin. It is
possible to watch from various points around the course but these can be difficult to get to, plus
it is nice have as many people as possible to cheer the runners in. There is no parking around that
area so we encourage spectators to meet at HQ and walk with us to the start. It’s all part of the
experience of the event.
- Are there any toilets for spectators?
- The toilets are in the Race HQ which is in Ashton Park School. This is around a 15 minute walk from
the Start/Finish line.
About the Course
- I’ve heard there is a big hill in this race. How steep is the hill?
- Nightingale Valley does have one hill which you can choose to walk or run. It is after the 1st km
pretty much all downhill after that.
- Will we be the only ones on the course during the
- We will be sharing the course with the general public and do not have priority, so please be aware
people may be enjoying a Sunday stroll.
- Will there be any First Aid facilities on the course?
- St John's Ambulance will be on hand on the route and at the Finish area. If you find yourself in
requiring medical attention, get a message to the nearest marshal who will be able to make
for you to be picked up and treated.
- Are there drinks stations?
- There will be water available for runners at the 5km drinks station and at the finish line.
After the race
- Will there be any refreshments available when we get back to race HQ after the race?
- Yes, there will be free tea, coffee, squash and cake available to all runners and spectators at
HQ after the race. There will be an opportunity to make an optional donation to this year’s
- When will the race results be available?
- Provisional results will be on the big TV screens in the HQ straight after the race. Finalised
results will be on the race website by the Wednesday after the race.
- Will there be photos to view after the race?
- Yes. We will have various photographers at HQ, the start/finish are and along the race route.
All photos will be available for you to download for free on the Nightingale Nightmare website
after the race.
- What time and where is the prize presentation?
- Prizes will be presented at Race HQ after the race (approx. 12.30pm) to the following
- 1st 2nd and 3rd men and women
- 1st over 40, 1st over 50 and 1st over 60 for men and women
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best fancy dress
- Best fancy dress volunteer
- What happens if the weather is bad?
- Unless there are any severe weather conditions such as a blizzard, gale or floods, which makes
it unsafe for
runners, the race will go ahead.
- Your race number will be ready for you at registration. We won't be posting anything out so
please keep your paypal email receipt safe and bring it along on the day.